Selected Topics in Communications Engineering
Type: Seminar with 3 or 4 SWS
In this seminar, advanced topics of communications technology and information transmission will be discussed. The focus will be on recent developments as well as aspects of system realization.
Participating students work out different topics and present these in talks of about 25 minutes. Apart from the scientific and technical topics, the seminar also emphasizes on presentation skills. These are addressed in a Presentation Workshop which is held early in the semester. This workshop also provides an introduction into the technical topics of the seminar.
Fundamental knowledge of communications engineering, e.g. from the lectures "Kommunikationstechnik", "Information Theory and Source Coding", "Informationsübertragung" or "Signals, Systems and Communication". The number of participants is limited to 16 (SS) or 20 (WS), respectively.
Materials: Starting material for the literature research will be provided.
Language: German / English
Introduction and topic assignment will take place on Wednesday, October 11th 2017 at 1:30pm in room 27 (MMR) of the IENT. A formal registration in the Campus system is required.
The integrated presentation workshop will take place on Friday, October 20th 2017 from 9am to 3:30pm in room 4G (IKS).
The seminar presentations will take place on four days in the last week of November and first week of December. The exact dates will be announced in the L2P.
All dates stated above are compulsory.
Selection of Previous Seminars
Topic in Summer term 2017: "Machine Learning for Audiovisual Processing"
- Neural Networks for Direction-of-Arrival (DOA) estimation
- Recurrent Neural Networks for Speech Enhancement
- Application of Neural Networks for Active Noise Cancellation
- Acoustic Scene Classification
Topic in Winter term 2016/17: "Virtual Reality & Immersion"
- Comparison of Higher Order Ambisonics and Wave Field Synthesis
- Stereo to Multi-channel Upmixing
- Adaptive Filtering in the Wave Field Domain
- Spatial Voice Activity Detection
Topic in Summer term 2016: "Media for Mobile Devices"
- Codecs for real-time high-quality streaming of audio signals
- Binaural telephony
- Acoustic scene analysis on mobile devices
- NELE - enabling communication everywhere
Topic in Winter term 2015/16: "Recording, Coding and Presentationof 3D Audio and Video"
- 2D to 3D Video Conversion
- Augmented Reality
- FTV Free Viewpoint TV
- Multichannel-Reproduction Systems
Topic in Summer term 2015: "Quality Metrics & Signal Enhancement"
- Noise Reduction, Echo Cancellation, Bandwidth Extension, ...
- Speech & Audio Coding
- Video Coding
- Video Enhancement
Topic in Winter term 2014/15: "3D Audio und Video"
- Spatial Hearing - Binaural Cues
- Wave-field synthesis
- 3D Audio codecs
- 3D Video codecs
Topic in Summer term 2014: "Robust Media Transmission".
- Forward Error Correction
- Error Concealment for Audio and Video
- Audio Disturbance Measurement
- Error Resilient Video Coding
- Scalable Video Coding and Unequal Error Protection