Selected Topics in Communications Engineering
Type: Seminar with 3 or 4 SWS
In this seminar, advanced topics of communications technology and information transmission will be discussed. The focus will be on recent developments as well as aspects of system realization.
Participating students work out different topics and present these in talks of about 25 minutes. Apart from the scientific and technical topics, the seminar also emphasizes on presentation skills. These are addressed in a Presentation Workshop which is held early in the semester. This workshop also provides an introduction into the technical topics of the seminar.
Fundamental knowledge of communications engineering, e.g. from the lectures "Kommunikationstechnik", "Information Theory and Source Coding", "Informationsübertragung" or "Signals, Systems and Communication". The number of participants is limited to 16.
Materials: Starting material for the literature research will be provided.
Language: German / English
Introduction and topic assignment will take place on Wednesday, October 9th 2019 at 1:00pm in room MMR (IENT). A formal registration in the RWTHonline system is required.
The integrated presentation workshop will take place on Wednesday, October 30th 2019 from 9:00am to 6:00pm in the Ford-Saal in the Super C.
The seminar presentations will take place:
- 10.12. 2:00pm to 5:00pm, 4G, IKS
- 11.12. 2:00pm to 5:00pm, MMR, IENT
- 17.12. 2:00pm to 5:00pm, 4G, IKS
- 19.12. 2:00pm to 5:00pm, MMR, IENT
All dates stated above are compulsory.
Topic in Summer term 2019: "Machine Learning for Audiovisual Processing"
- Neural Networks in Binaural Sound Source Localization
- Speech Synthesis with Tacotron
- Recurrent Neural Networks for Reference Frame Prediction
- Point Cloud Classification and Segmentation
Topic in Winter term 2018/19: "Efficient Data Representation and Sparse Models for Audio-Visual Communication"
- Sparsity in Room Impulse Response-Modelling
- Feature Engineering for Machine Learning in the Speech Domain
- Dictionary Learning for Image Compression
- Compression and Quantisation of Neural Networks
Topic in Summer term 2018: "Scene Analysis for Audio-Visual Content"
- Directional Audio Coding
- Score Following in Music Signals
- Image Generation and Inpainting using Neural Networks
- Video Captioning
Summer term 2019:
Participants of the evaluation: 18
Global grade: 1.5
Seminar Concept: 1.5
Supervision during Lecture and Elaboration: 1.5
Winter term 2018/19:
Participants of the evaluation: 17
Global grade: 1.4
Seminar Concept: 1.5
Supervision during Lecture and Elaboration: 1.4
Summer term 2018:
Participants of the evaluation: 16
Global grade: 1.3
Seminar Concept: 1.2
Supervision during Lecture and Elaboration: 1.3